This section describes what the Auto-Context feature is, why you may want to use it and how to use it
Cleaner for Jira contains a feature called Custom Field Auto-Context.
This feature aims to solve the problem caused when the administration team of a system does not fully understand how to use Custom Field Contexts, or when an administrator has inherited a system with too many un-scoped Custom Fields.
This feature determines what Projects and Issue Types actually use the Custom Field and will offer to automatically set these contexts to the Custom Field to increase performance.
The following shows a Custom Field context which is set to the Story Issue Type only (any other issues will not contain a value for this field:
This can be illustrated as a table with Custom Fields on 1 axis and Issues on the other:
Worst Case Scenario
Imagine that our Jira system has been set up with all the Custom Fields set to Global. Our index would look like the following, with all the Issues containing a value for every custom field:
In this example, our index will be 10 x 10 = 100.
Best Case Scenario
If we apply the Context to the Issue Types and Projects in the most optimal way, we can drastically improve our Indexing performance in Jira, as well as the Create/Edit and View interactions (less customfield_xxxx:null in all responses):
If we apply the Context correctly, we can bring this number down to 44.
That's over a 50% improvement on before.
The above affects the following high-traffic actions in JIRA to a large extent:
- Time to Create Issue
- Time to View Issue
- TIme to Edit Issue
- Time to Index the system
- Time taken to search for Issues
- Any other functions, such as plugins which use the above transactions
We have observed systems where running this feature can decrease the Response Times for these transactions up to half.
This feature requires the following of any Custom Fields you would like to run it against:
- It must have a single, global context
- It must be within the limits set on the configuration page
- Ensure it is not a Plugin/App field (every effort has been made to hide these fields)
How to Use
Use the following instructions to execute the Auto-Context Wizard:
- Open Jira
- Navigate to the Cleaner for Jira App
- Click on Custom Field Auto-Context on the left-hand-side Sidebar
- Select the following options:
- Maximum Project Number - what is the maximum number of Projects that a Custom Field can be used by before it is considered the correct candidate for being Global
- Maximum Issue Type Number - what is the maximum number of Issues Types that a Custom Field can be used by before it is considered a correct candidate for being Global
- Click Next and wait for the Auto-Context scan to complete (it uses paging to stream the results to the web browser live)
- You can click on the far-right column of the table to see which Issue Types and Projects it is suggesting you set the Custom Field to
- Select the Custom Fields you would like to execute the Auto-Context against using the Checkboxes
- When you are ready, click on Execute to run the Auto-Context against your system